How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawyer21 Your Own Question
Lawyer21, CILEx Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2582
Experience:  CILEx Lawyer
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Lawyer21 is online now

Can the same solicitor act for purchaser and vendor in a

This answer was rated:

Can the same solicitor act for purchaser and vendor in a family transaction? I am selling my property to my son (who is currently the tenant). I have used the same firm of solicitors in the past, for conveyancing transactions.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No I haven’t, although I have approached the firm and received a fee quote. I have all the paperwork to hand but have not filed anything yet. They have said they can act for me, but not my son.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: In Durham city. I live in Scotland.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don’t think so.

Hi How can I help?

As you are the vendor (Seller)- your previous solicitor can act for you in the transfer/sale of the property. However, your son would need to obtain separate independent legal advice for him to be acted in respect of the purchase. You cannot have two solicitors acting for sale and purchase for both parties.

Thank you - You could contact your solicitors and ask them to recommend a solicitor for your son.

I hope this information has been helpful

I would be grateful if you could give me a positive rating by clicking on the above and press submit - I would appreciate it

Lawyer21 and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Many thanks for clarifying that.