How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 18388
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

It relates to a tenancy which has just ended. the tenant has

This answer was rated:

It relates to a tenancy which has just ended. the tenant has bypassed the electrical mains meter/fuse board.
JA: What steps has the tenant taken so far? Have they prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: no. they have left the property.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: chesterfield. s42 9eq
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
the tenant left the property on Jan 31st. According to the Deposit Protection service we should be actioning the return or claim on their deposit by close of play today. they have caused damage to the carpet and floorboards as well as breaking the mains cabling/box, cupboard in which the electrical things are, and we do not yet know how much the repairs to the mains wiring is going to cost as we are awaiting an engineer from the utility company to attend the property and assess the situation. I also understand that it is an offence to bypass the utility meters. I feel I should put in writing to the tenant at their forwarding address the situation (which they know about, they were present when we discovered what they had done) and that therefore they will need to wait until we are fully informed of all costs before we can take any action on their deposit. I do not know what my position is in doing this though legally, or whether it is a good idea to point out in writing to them that what they have done is illegal.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

What is it you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I would like to know what I should do with regards ***** ***** the tenant that there will be a delay in resolution of return of their deposit. at present, it is looking like the costs of repair of all damage done will exceed the amount of deposit they paid, however until I have a figure I can't make a claim on the deposit.

Have you notified the protection scheme?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have, but they told me to take advice on the matter as they could not provide legal advice. I assume the only record that will be held will be their recording of my phone call, if indeed they keep it. I have not notified them in writing nor is there a way to indicate on their system that an issue has arisen that will delay resolution of the deposit.

If they have caused damage, then you can submit a claim to dps. You need to notify the tenant that you can’t get quote for within 14 days.

But notify them you will be deducting and it’s likely to exceed the deposit. Get a quote for the work at least, then you know value.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Jamie-Law and 3 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you