Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

We are renting a house through an agency from a private

Hi there we are renting a house through an agency from a private landlady since october 2019 we have had problems with 2 issues on 1 side backup hot water tank continuasley tripping the electric and on the other side a problem with the central heating not cutting off when it should, we contacted the agency back in october informing of the 2 problems about a month later she sent a plumber who told us that as far as the hot water was concerned it was a problem with the element on the tank which needed to be changed and that the problem with the central heating was a vaulve that was getting stuck and he hit the vaulve with a monkey wrench saying that the problem should be solved, a week later he came back to change the element on the tank and when he came to do it, after trying he told us that the element had become soldered to.the tank over the years and now the only way to solution the problem was to change the tank as far as the central heating is concerned we told him that it was still not solutioned and he hit the vaulve again with the monkey wrench telling us that if it still did not solution the problem he would need to change the vaulve this was at the begining of december when he told us that he would have to send a quote to the agency and they would be in contact, since after christmas we have been chasing the agency to get a resolution to the problem last week they told us that tbey could do no.more as the owner of the house held the purse strings and that she had refused the quote of the plumber and wanted to deal with the problem herself, at the begining of this week the owner came to the house with another plumber he confirmed that the tank had to be changed and that as far as the central heating is concerned he changed the vaulve and after doing tests told us that the master board was damaged and needed to be changed the owner of the house who was present agreed to the work that needed to be done and asked him to send her the quote, last night I spoke to the plumber and he told me that he would not be doing the work as the owner had again refused the quote, I immediatley spoke agin to the owner of the house and she told me that she had remitted the problem back to the agency, today I spoke to the agency and they told me that they would be sending out an electrician to solution the problem!!!!, the electrician came at lunch time and told me that he had come as the owner now wants to install an electric combi boiler and shower and scrap all together the cistern tank and gas boiler obviousley this will singnificantley increase the cost of the electric bills and was not the agreement when we rented the house I have called a meeting tonight both with the owner and agency representant and wish to know where I stand legally as far as the maintenance of these elements.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No what sort of paperwork we have filed to the agency lots of emails explaining the problems since october
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No you are the first we have contacted
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thank you that will be all
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Hi there am still waiting on an answer...???
Hi thank you for your message, in essence the heating and hot water issue should be resolved ASAP and certainly it should not take this long. That said, it is down to the landlord to determine how this can reasonably be achieved which in this case can mean replacing one kind of boiler with another. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
ok even if this means that our electricity costs will increase by more than 40% putting in an electric boiler...???
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
sorry cannot afford the tel. call please just confirm my legal rights....???
In short yes, though how you know they will increase by 40% I am not sure furthermore, the increase in electricity cost should be off set in the reduction in say gas costs or whoever fuel was used for the current boiler. Of course, you can negotiate with the landlord on this point but you have right to insist she install a like for like replacement of the current boiler. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.