Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  BA honours degree in law, over 20 years experience in litigation, contract and property matters
12609314

I've recently vacated a property. The landlord is not happy

Hi I've recently vacated a property. The landlord is not happy with the condition of the property is it my responsibility to get into a condition he is satisfied with. Or can he not deduct it from my deposit? At the minute it feels like I have to get in to a state he is happy with before he will give me my deposit back
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Sheffield south Yorkshire
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: So apparently on the lease the carpets had to be professionally cleaned. Did not know this at the time of leaving but this is now done.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Sorry got more to say
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The landlord is also not happy with the stain on bath and the grouting of tiles in bathroom which are also staind. Also not happy with cleanliness of cubards and skirting boards. And the missing accessory parts of the oven. (The oven still works fine). I have paid for the carpets to be cleaned and for light cleaning to be done. And the requested that the oven parts be taken out of my deposit. Although I have now offers to do it myself

Good afternoon

Your landlord may not be happy with certain things but you are not responsible for what is called " fair wear and tear" which put simply means that if something is used it will show signs of wear over a period.

Having said that you do want the landlord to use your deposit and have to chase for it back.

As such, I would make it clear to the landlord that you are aware of the limits of your liability but offer to assist anyway.

If there are any further points kindly reply I will be happy to respond

Otherwise please either accept or rate my answer on the system so I get credit for my time.

Best wishes

Michael