How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Property Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 23122
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

How do we modify the land registry title for a property to

This answer was rated:

How do we modify the land registry title for a property to indicate that it is subject to a lifetime tenancy?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: We have a written lifetime tenancy agreement and the wills of the four joint owners (friends to whom I sold the property of which I am now the lifetime tenant) stipulate that the house is subject to a lifetime tenancy to prevent any inheritor from selling the house whilst I'm alive or not in permanent care home etc. We need to enter this onto the land registry so anyone doing a property search knows the arrange
JA: Where is the land located?
Customer: meant that is in place
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope, that's it

The answer to this is quite straightforward. You register a restriction:

the 40 different kinds of restriction which you will see at the very end of the guide above.

It would probably be done by a form L restriction which is you can see needs substantial amendment. You cannot make up your own restriction, it has to be one of the standard formats but edited.


and you also need AP1


and ID1

for all the parties involved.


There needs to be one of the latter forms for each person involved. It needs a passport sized photograph certified by a solicitor as being a true likeness. This is not needed if solicitors are doing the job but the solicitors will want different ID, usually a passport or driving licence and 1 or 2 utility bills.


There is also the Land Registry fee based upon the value of the house which is here:


Use scale 1 fees.


If I have answered your question for you, at the top of the page, you should see a rating facility. Can you please rate my reply 3 stars or more because that really helps me? Please note you are not rating whether it’s favourable, because sometimes you may not get the answer you want, but basically my knowledge and way of dealing.

The thread does not close and I am happy to answer any questions you may have arising from this.

Kind regards

Stuart J and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you