How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Property Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 23354
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

I had double glazed wooden sash windows installed in 2003.

This answer was rated:

I had double glazed wooden sash windows installed in 2003. The builders did not supply a fensa certificate. How can I get one if I want to sell my house.

You would need to go back to the company that installed the Windows and ask them for the certificate and they will probably have no records so can’t do it.

The next course of action is building regulations approval although it’s out of time for enforcement now as it was 17 years ago.

The easiest way of dealing with this is just to provide building regulations indemnity to the buyer. Not expensive, and quite normal and acceptable to 99.9% of solicitors although you will get the odd one that awkward because he “doesn’t like indemnity policies”.

In the latter case, the only alternative is to find another buyer or apply for building regulations approval.

If I have answered your question for you, at the top of the page, you should see a rating facility. Can you please rate my reply 3 stars or more because that really helps me? Please note you are not rating whether it’s favourable, because sometimes you may not get the answer you want, but basically my knowledge and way of dealing.

The thread does not close and I am happy to answer any questions you may have arising from this.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It was 17 years ago and the sash window company no longer in business ��

Thank you. I thought that might be the case.

In which case the rest of my answer applies which is either arranging and indemnity policy which you only need to do when you come to sell or getting building regulations approval.

I would just get the indemnity policy when you come to sell.

I am glad to help. If you could help me now please, in the way that I have helped you, I would be obliged if you could please use the rating service because that gives payment for my time and expertise here today.

You will find the rating service in the top right-hand corner of your screen, a number of stars.

If anything else crops up, we can still exchange notes. The thread doesn't close.

Kind regards.

Stuart J and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you