INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I am a private tenant. In February I was given the notice to

I am a private tenant.
In February I was given the notice to move out by the end of April.
By the end of February, I become unemployed due to the Covid impact. But I have managed to get some job interview and got a job offer.
In mid-March (1 week ago) my new employer withdraws the job offer, the recruitment industry is put on hold and I can no longer progress with my job hunting since.
London is locked down, I don't know how long. I am unemployed and I am not able to pay rent for the month of April.
Would I be in trouble if I stay for April and not pay rent?
Can I stay longer than April and not pay rent given the current situation?
Or should I move out to a cheaper place right now?

Thank you for your query. The Government has stated that it will not process any eviction applications during the Coronavirus lockdown period. Therefore, if you do not pay your rent for April, your landlord cannot evict you. In any event, your landlord can only evict you for non payment of rent if you are 2 or more months in arrears of your rent. At that point, the landlord would have to serve 2 weeks notice and then if you did not leave at the end of the 2 weeks, the landlord would have to make an application to court for possession of he property.

I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

many thanks,

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for your answer.
Just to double check, the notice was served in Febuary, just before the spread of the virus. Would my circumstance still fall in the protection from Gov recently release?
I have decided to moved out to a cheaper place for April (half the price) as I am unemployed and I don't know how long the close down will last. My saving will last me a couple of month at this new place. Could the landlord chase me for the unpaid rent of April?
Thank you for your helps,

Yes it would. The courts are not accepting any applications for possession proceedings at the moment.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.