Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have a tenant who has never paid rent on time and of

I have a tenant who has never paid rent on time and of course now announced that she wont be paying rent. I chased her as usual for the rent on the day it was due and received the following text:Hello Elena, I've not been going to work for the past three weeks now because of the coronavirus, and I'm an asthmatic patient, so I was asked to stay at home. So there's no way I can meet up with the rent payment for this month.Her contract ends in October. I would like to know how to handle it with her. For examples, is she entitled not to pay rent at all for the next three months? Is there any kind of process where you have to prove that you lost your income or you just send a text and say you won't pay?

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Is she more than 2 months in arrears?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
No the first month.

Ah ok. Sadly you cant serve a S.8 notice to quit until they are 2 months in arrears
Once they are, you can serve a S,8 notice.

If they dont pay up you can seek a possession order.

You can do this online at:

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

That should resolve it for you.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate. If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
I understand that tenants cannot evict tenants during coronovirus so can I still serve section 8 next mont?
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Sorry I meant to say landlords can't evict tenants...

You can, yes

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Interesting. What should be my response to the tenants message. She is not mentioning she is planning to pay at all. Do I just leave it or should I say something?

Issue a S.8 notice once they are 2 months in arrears.

Then issue proceedings for possession

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Yes thank you.