How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 15827
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

We are renting an appartment with my girlfriend but

This answer was rated:

Hello, we are renting an appartment with my girlfriend but unfortunately, we have a 3-year lease for the property. The break clause would require my girlfriend to leave her job, but she doesn't want to. Is there a legal way to break the contract.
Please see the contract attached.

Hello my name is Jamie and I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Do ALL of the below apply?

1. Lucie's place of employment changes so that it is no longer within a 100 kilometre radius of the Property or Lucie has died or has become so incapacitated that they are unable to follow their employment; and

2. Lucie has given the Landlord not less than two months‘ previous notice in writing of their wish to break the Tenancy; and

3. Lucie has supplied the Landlord with evidence of the grounds required to break the Tenancy (contained in sub-paragraph 1. above); and

4. The Landlord approves and is satisfied that the evidence supplied by Lucie shows that the condition in 1. above has been met (the Landlord’s approval not being unreasonably withheld) and

5. Lucie, up until the date of the notice to terminate, has paid the ren

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No, as I said my girlfriend does not want to resign, so she is still working in 100 miles radius. My question was if there was a way to workaround this break clause?


The only way to break is if ALL of the above are met.

Sadly if he does not want to resign, you are stuck.

That is the only break clause.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok thank you for your answer.

Can I assist with anything else tonight?

Jamie-Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you