SS Legal Advisor
SS Legal Advisor, Lawyer
Experience:  Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
107664070

Due to the current pandemic i had to give the notice to my

Customer Question

Hi, due to the current pandemic i had to give the notice to my landlord. However, nobody replied in a written format to my notice. After calling the agency 7 times within a week, they finally gave me the response to leave the key in the room once i am leaving. Nonetheless, I usually pay my rent on the 2nd of every month
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: UK east india
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: Yes since I moved in I keep claiming to fix my door lock and deal with the wifi connection
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes i should pay the rent on the 2 nd, however given the current status i wont be able so thats why i gave my notice on the 13 th. As they say that the notice should be 4 weeks ahead and will deduct it from the deposit
Expert:  SS Legal Advisor replied 10 days ago.

Hi there,

Firstly, remember that notice is affected when served, so provided you served it in an adequate manner that is all that matters. With the Notice period currently being 2 months for a residential property, you will still need to pay any rent that is due prior to your leaving the property - if not, then be prepared for this to be deducted from your deposit.

Unfortunately there are no laws in place protecting tenants from payment of rent due to Covid-19, however, the government are keeping a close eye on this and do aim to make some drastic changes in the near future. In the meantime please view the following link and download the 'guidance for landlords and tenants' -https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-and-renting-guidance-for-landlords-tenants-and-local-authorities

I hope this helps and please leave positive feedback. If I can assist with anything else, please do let me know.

Kind regards,

Expert:  SS Legal Advisor replied 4 days ago.

Hi there,

Just checking to see if you were happy with my response?

Kind regards,