LegalNinja
LegalNinja, Property Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
103518254

I have a problem on the rent refund with my landlord,

I have a problem on the rent refund with my landlord
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: London, Uk
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: It was an early termination of contract
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: so, the landlord took 250£ From the rent refund that he wanted from repair and menace me to do not give them me back if I don’t agree that he have to take them from the deposit.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Welcome to Just Answer. I will be assisting you today with your query. Kindly note, this is not a chat service and my responses may be delayed due to assisting other users.
You may request a phone call through the site for an additional small fee. This is an automatic offer made by the system giving you the opportunity to pay extra to discuss things over the phone. However, it is entirely optional and if you just ignore it and close it down you will not be charged extra and we will just continue in writing at no extra cost.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I can explain you the situation so you will better understand
What type of tenancy do you have?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
So I’ve gone out of my flat by early termination of the contract.
My landlord gave me the refund after a month and few weeks and claimed many repairs. I’ve managed to get the check in inventory and declined many of them. He agreed and said he had not the check in inventory.
However, he is still asking me to pay the same amount 250£ that he took of the rent refund. He asked me to agree to the agency deposit that they should give him 250£ from the deposit and he said that once received he will complete me the rent.
That’s put me in a position where I can not contest. He told me that this 250 is due to thinks that he did not found while the check out inventory however, it is clearly stated not seen and that few drawers have not been checked. To continue, the claims have been done on the 21st day after the end of the contract
Ok, before proceeding I will need to ask a few questions so that I can help you.Did you have an assured shorthold tenancy?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I think yes
Thank you, ***** ***** was your deposit protected in an authorised scheme at the start of the tenancy? By law, Landlords and Agents are required to secure tenants deposits in 1 of 3 schemes within 30 days of receiving the money.You will know if they have as you should have received a certificate confirming this. If so, which scheme is it held in?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Let me check, I need few minutes please
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
it is TDS
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
he done it in less than one month
Ok thank you. You can formally dispute this via the TDS service. If the deposit is protected by TDS, the dispute can be referred to them and resolved by a professional, impartial adjudicator. They will decide how much should be awarded to each party based on the evidence you send us.Below is the link to more information:https://www.tenancydepositscheme.com/deposit-disputes/Just contact them directly to state you are disputing your deposit deduction. You can submit all your evidence.
Does that clarify what you need to do? :)
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
however, if I do that he will not give the 250£ of my rent back
If you dispute this then you have the option to take this to Court and recover your money.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Here is what he have send to me, is it even legal ? :Yes, I confirm that I will send you £250 if you can confirm to the agents that they can release to you £2250 from the deposit and send the balance of £250 to me as per their enclosed email.Kind regards
they are asking for £250 from the deposit it seems?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
but he locked 250 from my rent reimbursement and said that he will not complete the rent refund as long as I have not accepted
Ok thank you for clarifying. It is your choice to make however if you disagree, you may have to recover this from your Landlord in Court.
Does that clarify?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Okay, thank you
It’s a pleasure!I would be grateful for a 5 star rating at the top of your screen for helping you. It’s important to leave a rating as this is how Experts are credited.All the best :)