How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 16617
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I’ve gone out of my flat by early termination of the

This answer was rated:

So I’ve gone out of my flat by early termination of the contract.
My landlord gave me the refund after a month and few weeks and claimed many repairs. I’ve managed to get the check in inventory and declined many of them. He agreed and said he had not the check in inventory.
However, he is still asking me to pay the same amount 250£ that he took of the rent refund. He asked me to agree to the agency deposit that they should give him 250£ from the deposit and he said that once received he will complete me the rent.
That’s put me in a position where I can not contest. He told me that this 250 is due to thinks that he did not found while the check out inventory however, it is clearly stated not seen and that few drawers have not been checked. To continue, the claims have been done on the 21st day after the end of the contract

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

What is it you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hi, so I know if it is legal to my landlord the keep my rent refund to I agree to give him 250 of the deposit,
I would like to know if the inventory is good and can be taken in count for missing items as they did not check some drawers and cupboard.
Many thanks

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request a refund within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate.

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Jamie-Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you very much, all the bests !
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Here is what he have send to me, is it even legal ? :Yes, I confirm that I will send you £250 if you can confirm to the agents that they can release to you £2250 from the deposit and send the balance of £250 to me as per their enclosed email.Kind regards
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
He says that he will complete the 250£ of my rent refund if I agree to he take 250 from the deposit

Just sue for it back. You have a good claim

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Thank you