Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

What are the liabilities of adding someone else to the Deeds

What are the liabilities of adding someone else to the Deeds of a House? My Mothers partner (unmarried, lived together for 45 years) died last year, they were Tenants in Common where his was the larger share (approx 60/30). His share of the house will go to his daughter when my Mother dies. She's asking to be put on the deeds. We're worried that it may create a liability (if she goes bankrupt for example).
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: Probate is still in progress.
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: North Wales, Colwyn Bay
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi thank you for your message, if she is put on the deeds then she will have a write to ask for the write to sell the house if she so wished or if she became bankrupt the trustee in bankruptcy could try to sell the house to get her 60% out for creditors. It is therefore a risk but she is entitled to be on the deeds. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you. Just to confirm "she is entitled to be on the deeds" means that we can't stop her from doing so, even if we were concerned? (by the way, you've spelt 'right' as 'write' twice).

Hi thank you for your message, no you cannot stop her from being added. And yes a typo. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** I can't do a live call at the moment as we are about to go onto a family call. But I could do next week if I have more questions.

Glad I could help, take care.