How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 4730
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

I was living in a house share from 8/1/2019 till 8/5/2020.

This answer was rated:

I was living in a house share from 8/1/2019 till 8/5/2020. He did not put my deposit into deposit scheme till 29/12/2019, about a year after receiving it, and didn't let me know about it, I have found it out when I gave him the one month notice according to our agreement on 8/4/2020 and asked him about the deposit scheme certificate, at first he refused to send me the certificate but then on 10/4/2020 he send me the certificate, which its beginning date was on 29\12\2019. He transferred my deposit on 10\5\2020, but I want to take legal action regarding his delay in putting my deposit into deposit scheme. I was wondering can I do it now? after 2 weeks of eviction?

Hi thank you for your message, yes you can. You should be able to get up to 3 times the deposit amount. You should write to him and ask for the compensation i.e. say 3 times the deposit amount within 14 days or you will bring legal proceedings.

You will need to register at so that you are ready to issue the claim in the event they dispute the claim and do not pay you. The website is very user-friendly and you would not need a lawyer to use the money claim site. Claims with a value of under £10,000 are classed as a "small claim", so legal costs are not recoverable and the matter may be dealt with on paper by a Judge, not at a hearing. A hearing may be necessary if the court thinks that oral evidence is required to dispose of the case.

Claims between £10,000 and £25,000 are subject to fixed costs only so if you lose then the risk is minimal. Further, the money claim website allows you to sue for an amount up to £100,000.

You would claim the sum for the loss, the court issue fee (details of fees are here at page 5: and court interest which is 8% calculated on a daily rate from the date of loss to date of court judgment. The site allows you to calculate the interest and add it to the claim.

If you are on a low income or have low savings (or in receipt of benefits), you can ask the court for a fee remission so you do not have to pay the court issue fee.

If you win then once you have CCJ from the court the defendant has 14 days to pay in full. If they do not then it gets registered with the credit agencies after 30 days. You can also enforce the CCJ with the county court bailiffs or transfer the debt to the High Court for a small additional fee assuming the total amount owed is at least £600 and you can use the high court enforcement officers who have greater powers than county court bailiffs. The transfer fee is added on to the debt and payable by the defendant.

I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Jeremy Aldermartin and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hey, Thanks for your help. So it would be fine if I write to him now, after 2 weeks of my leaving?
And I was wondering is it a special template or something that I need to use for writing to him?

Yes that is fine, he did not comply with the requirements. There is no special template as such no just make your point clearly. Thank you for the rating.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** can not tell me because he transferred my deposit to me I am not allowed to ask for compensation?

Hi thanks for your message, he can say it but that does not terminate the claim because he should have protected the deposit in the first place.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok, Great
Thank you very much.

Glad I could help, take care.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi again
I was wondering can you please check something for me? I have found a template to write to my landlord. I would really appreciate it if you please check it for me.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
File attached (473MGGP)

Hi thank you for your message, that looks well drafted.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
It would be ok if I email it to him now?

Yes that is fine.