How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalNinja Your Own Question
LegalNinja, Property Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 757
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
LegalNinja is online now

I have a joint ownership of a properpty, the other person

This answer was rated:

Hello I have a joint ownership of a properpty, the other person who is a joint owner wants to buy my half without my wanting to sell, he is particularly pushy and I would like to rent the properpty to him. How can I prevent any further pushy behaviour to demand that I sell my half to him and can I rent the properpty to him?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No, nothing so far.
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Newark, uk.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that I would like ti invest in improving the properpty with double glazed windows, radiaters and a shower, the properpty needs maintaining and improving. Thank You.
Welcome to Just Answer. I will be assisting you today with your query. Kindly note, this is not a chat service and my responses may be delayed due to assisting other users. You may request a phone call through the site for an additional small fee. This is an automatic offer made by the system giving you the opportunity to pay extra to discuss things over the phone. However, it is entirely optional and if you just ignore it and close it down you will not be charged extra and we will just continue in writing at no extra cost.
You should look to involve your respective solicitors to deal with this. This will ensure that communication is clear and avoids you having to deal with the pushy individual.
Is there anything else I can clarify for you?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Do I have the right to ask rent for him living there as the only tenant, I will not be living there.?
of course if he is willing to enter into an agreement with you. Why not.
Is there anything else I can cover?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Do I have the right to commence with works to maintain and improve the house with double glazing, installing radiates and a shower with out the joint owners permission.?
Well it would be practical to obtain the other joint owners permission before doing to avoid any disputes but there is nothing stopping you.
Do you have any further queries?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you. I had experienced quite a lot of intimidating behaviour from the joint owner, regarding his desire to turn my deceased partner's bedroom into a museum and his drawing up a solicitor letter to buy the property with out talking with me about this, in total, a lot of 'strange behaviour'. Thank you.
I understand. I do hope it works out for you.I would be grateful for a 5 star rating at the top of your screen for helping you. It’s important to leave a rating as this how Experts are credited.All the best.
LegalNinja and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you