james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I wonder if you could help me, we bought a Lodge from Park

Hello I wonder if you could help me, we bought a Lodge from Park Holidays at Riviera Bay Devon. The lodge was one of eleven and these lodges are positioned in a private field which was 2 minutes walk away from the Parks amenities and the site fees were quoted as being in line with R.P.I. The amenities included on site were an amusement arcade with slot machines, table games, ten pin bowling, shop and and entertainment centre which included Children's club providing day and nightly children's entertainment, Adult evenings entertainment with shows, discos, special events, bingo for both children and adults. Also thee was a children's playground, an indoor pool with lifeguard, showers and changing rooms. All this was within a safe 2 minute walk from the lodges and therefore ideal for children and adults holiday.
JA: Have they talked to a lawyer about this? What country do they live in? If different, what country does this legal question relate to?
Customer: Sorry it has been sent before I had finished
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I will continue. They have now taken down all the holiday chalets down, approximately 300 hundred of them and demolished the whole site and are making it a complete site for lodges, in doing so they have changed the focus of the site from a family friendly holiday place to more of a residential site aiming for more mature people where most of them do not have small children They are not replenishing the site with the old amenities and as yet have said they will not made up their mind whether there will be even a playground or pool. On top of this the site fees have gone up year on year well above RPI saying this is due to staffing costs etc. without providing any proof or figures. For example when we bought the lodge in 2014 the site fees were £5,195.00 and for 2020 they are now £6,775.00. With them taking away all the children's facilities the lodge is for us not fit for purpose. I can provide the comparisons in a yearly format year by year if this is useful. We have been looking to sell for the past 2 years but with the high sight fee's, not being able to advertise, along with them asking for around 15% of the monies received for the lodge we feel we are in no mans land. I have written to them and they have replied to but we feel that this reply is unsatisfactory. We feel like we are being rob and abused by this company. I have copies of all the communications with them
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is all at present, although as far as we are concern the only service we will be receiving for our site fee's with be cutting the lawns

Hello I am a solicitor and will assist today.

what exactly would you like assistance with regarding this matter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please thats would be good and thank you and if you need anything more from me just let me know

Very sorry for the delay.

I do know the area very well having lived in Brixham for a number of years.

The old chalets were destined to be demolished for a long time.

I understand that the site is indeed to be new lodges only, with basically no facilities.

However, the site owners our saying that owners at Riviera Bay, are free to use all the facilities at the sister park near Berry Head at no charge.

This type of policy appears to be the norm with park sites, indeed I have a lodge on the IoW for getaways, the company there has sister sites and share facilities.

I appreciate that when you purchased on the site there was a pool and many other facilities. The company will get around this by saying that facilities are still on offer and available to use for free at the sister park.

As for selling, this is a usual practice on almost all parks and would have been listed in the agreement when you first purchased your lodge.

As for site fees increasing, that is a usual thing to happen year on year. The rise of approx £250 each year is a reasonable fee, although maybe not going forward with limited or no facilities on site. Bur again , they get around this due to offering facilities at the sister site.

Unfortunately, there really is very little you can do. They are operating within the law.

Options open to you, from what I can see are;

1. Accept what they are doing and make the best of it.
  2. Sell your lodge with them taking their % and cut your loss with them.
  3. Negotiate a discount for at least the coming year due to lack of actual onsite facilities to allow time to sell.
  4. Enquire if it could be possible to re-site the lodge at the sister park or another location in Torbay.

Unfortunately, on this occasion I can see no other way forward, and trust me, I do have experience of dealing with these parks. I have successfully won a large group action against such parks for large sums.

james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience: Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for this I thought that they would cover their backs and not think about customer service. Unfortunately, the issue for us was that the facilities were a 2 minute walk from the lodge so the children could just walk down on their own to the facilities without us having any worries, keeping in the safe environment. Having to go down to the sister park means that they could not go alone, even up to the age of 15 as there is the worry / chance of falling off the cliff or being hit by a car as it is a 10 to 15 minute walk.They also do not provide any information of how the pitch money is spent, how the money is apportioned between the varies service they provide or whether they are providing value for money and making efficiency savings. They could be operating inefficiently and we would never know. Let’s hope like you say, as there are no recreational facilities the pitch fees will be reduced. Hopefully, they will then provide a reduction / rebate for this year’s pitch fees, as we have been unable to use the lodge due to the coronavirus.When things get back to some normality, we will be following your sound advice as we now feel comfortable about selling the lodge, cutting our losses and moving on.Once again thank you for your invaluable help