ExpertUKLawyer
ExpertUKLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Master of Laws
108942113

A lease for 21 years inside the act tenant fails to serve a

Customer Question

hi,a lease for 21 years inside the act tenant fails to serve a section 26 notice for renewal.A new lease is signed for 7 years outside the act .can the landlord do this ?Tenant has not been advised .Does the initial renewal rights disappear?
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: this goes back to 2014new lease signed
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: a cricket club
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I feel the landowner has steered us away from the law as he wants to put houses on it!
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Too difficult for you?
Expert:  ExpertUKLawyer replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I’m George and I’m your solicitor. I have a Master's in Law and six years’ experience. Please allow me some time to review the information.

Before I can provide you with an answer to your question, I need a little bit more information.

1. Did the tenant receive a landlord warning notice before the new lease was entered into? A landlord warning notice states that the lease being offered will not have security of tenure – in other words, the tenant will have no right to a new lease at the end of the contractual term.

2. Did the tenant make a declaration confirming that it understood the new lease would be contracted out of the security of tenure provisions of the LTA 1954 before the new lease was entered into?

3. If so, was the declaration a simple or a statutory declaration?

4. If simple, was the declaration made at least 14 days before the new lease was entered into?