UKSolicitorJA
UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience:  English solicitor with over 12 years experience
62162956

My brother and I were partners in a auto engineering

My brother and I were partners in a auto engineering business until I retired thirteen years ago.As my brother is eight years younger than me he bought my share of the business and carried on trading as a limited company.The garage is still owned jointly and we receive a rent from the limited company we have never had a lease agreement.My brother now tells me we need to get a lease and work has to be done to conform with epc guidelines .Am I liable for half the cost of heating the workshop as apparently the burner has broken down.Also do we have to have a lease by law.tt
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I haven’t but my brother has started proceedings somebody visited premises and gave a report and some electrical work has been carried out.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will wait

As you jointly own the property, you would be jointly liable for any repair costs or any rectification costs involving the property.

May I help further?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thank you

You are welcome.

Please click on 5 stars to leave a positive rating so that I may close this question.

UKSolicitorJA, Solicitor
Experience: English solicitor with over 12 years experience