Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

I took a lease on a workshop along with my brother who

Customer Question

I took a lease on a workshop along with my brother who recently past away, since taking the lease the landlord has been entering the premises without letting us know as the other units electricity supplies fuse box was located in our unit which we weren't aware of, also despite being made aware of electrical problems such as broken sockets lights and that are inoperative no electrical check has been carried out nor have the problems been resolved, they were also made aware of several leaks in the roof causing mould on the ceiling and water dripping down walls onto electrics, they also blocked off the area where the fuse boxes are located and built a new loo in the workshop which made the useable workshop space 2/3 of the original which makes it no good for the intended reason for renting, how do I stand on ending my lease?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Not yet, landlord has been told I no longer require the unit
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Crewe UK
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. Can I confirm have you spoken to the landlord about this matter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I have spoken to him in person and also e.mail
Hi, thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your situation. You will need to write a letter to your landlord setting out your claim and what you want. You should attach evidence such as pictures and ask for the landlord to fix the problem. At the end of the letter you should state that if you do not hear back in 14 days you will take legal action for breach of contract. If you wish to leave the property due to the breaches you should state that in the letter and state what day you intend to leave. If the landlord decides to dispute your claims you will be able to defend your claim in court. If the matter goes to court I would advise that you find a solicitor in your area to represent you. You can find a solicitor by using the law society find a solicitor link here:https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk
You will be able to search by area and expertise. I hope this helps if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen and just answer will then credit me for helping you today.

Hi, I hope all is well! I would appreciate if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen otherwise I receive no credit for helping you.