MARCUS Malin
MARCUS Malin,
Experience:  Consultant Solicitor at Setfords
66642005

I’m not sure what kind of law this comes under. I have two

I’m not sure what kind of law this comes under.I have two dogs and their microchips are registered in my name. My ex is threatening to take them and hide them.

Hello, my name is Marcus.

Were you married. If not then the law to ownership of dogs can be pretty cold and the person who paid for the dog is legal owner unless it was a gift.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was paid in cash and no none of the dogs were classed as a gift
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No we aren’t or were never married

Who was it who paid the cash....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Me

In that case you have the legal title to the dogs so your ex has no right to remove from you.

Technically you can go to court for a declaration of ownership but hopefully that will not be required as it would only incur costs.

Marcus

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much would it cost roughly for a declaration of ownership for my two dogs?

Hello, I am sorry for the delay in responding. If opposed it would be several thousand pounds.

However before you embarked on any such application for a declaration you would send a pre action letter asking your ex to concede the point. If they do not then you can proceed with confidence that upon success you can claim your costs.

The reality is following a pre action letter your ex is likely to concede as they have no case and risk a costs order. So I cannot imagine that following advice they would try an exert a claim on the dogs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Marcus

You are most welcome