Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I am looking for advice on my ending my tenancy at a

Customer Question

Hi Pearl
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am looking for advice on my ending my tenancy at a property - we had a fixed term contract that changed to a periodic in November 2019
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: This is based in the UK
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: I have spoken to the property ombudsmen, citizens advice and shelter regarding the matter
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: 2 housemates would like to leave and one would not and I would like to understand who is liable for the rent
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

What is it you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jamie!
I am looking for advice to challenge the estate agents on the contract attached - we are now in a periodic contract and I am being told I cannot leave the agreement without the consent of my 3rd housemate who doesn't want to leave
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Having received formal advice on the situation, our understanding is we can give a valid notice once the tenancy has become periodic, which will end the tenancy for all of the joint tenants as stated here: https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/private_renting/how_to_end_a_joint_tenancyWhilst we understand we were still all jointly liable when the tenancy became periodic, however, the rights regarding ending the te***** *****ged. We understand that during a fixed term all tenants have to agree to leave if there is a break clause that allows the tenancy to be ended early or a surrender of the tenancy is agreed. However, as the tenancy is periodic, any of the joint tenants can serve a notice without permission from the others and it will end the tenancy for all the joint tenants.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This advice came from shelter
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

What does the agreement say? Does it say all parties must agree?