Vineet S
Vineet S,
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
60556257

L am a tenant looking to terminate my contract early. I gave

Hello, l am a tenant looking to terminate my contract early. I gave my landlord 1 month notice but they are refusing to let me out of the contract
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: So far nothing as l have just found out from the Landlord's agency that the landlord isnt willing to let me off early
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: in the UK, Hertforshire
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I dont think so Just hoping l could get some advice

Welcome to JA. I’m Vineet, a UK qualified & practicing Solicitor and I will be dealing with your case today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Vineet, thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I prefer chatting instead

Not a problem,

Could you please confirm the expiry date of the tenancy?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
March 2021

Is it Assured Shorthold tenancy Agreement? and any specific reasons for terminating it early?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is Shorthold. I moving to a change in personal circumstances affecting my finances

Is there a break -clause included in the Tenancy Agreement?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cant get hold of my contract copy. So basing on what the agency has conveyed to me

Thank you for your reply.

Tenant can terminate the tenancy by exercising the

break clause if there is one

or at the expiry of the tenancy

or by the surrender of the tenancy if mutually agreed by the Landlord.

I know it is very challenging times for both the tenants and the Landlords due to coronavirus,Even though the emerging situation is very alarming, there have not yet been any changes to the law regarding ending tenancies in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic, and until something mutually agreed between the tenant and the Landlord, Tenant`s obligation to pay rent will not change. This crisis is no excuse for tenants to breach their Tenancy Agreement and stop paying the rent.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I understand.Seeing as l cant afford the payments after this month l guess l have done my best in letting them know.

You can speak with the Landlord about your financial condition and agree to some payment plan for any smaller amount of rent payments or any missed payments

The tenant remains liable for the fixed term of the signed tenancy agreement.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

&

If that answers your question, Kindly remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of your screen before you leave JA today

If that answers your question, May I politely remind you to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of your screen before you leave JA today.