How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask INC Law Your Own Question
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 15946
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
INC Law is online now

Bad reference from landlord full of lies scuppers new

This answer was rated:

Bad reference from landlord full of lies scuppers new tenancy move
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: Yes deposits paid guarantors provided
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: New property in Selly Oak Birmingham
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Present bad landlords reference is stopping the move


Thank you for your query. Is this a private landlord or was your reference provided by an agency?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Private landlords of 10 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is claiming tardy and missing payments over 10 years but he has been paid in cash every month


Have you spoken with the landlord about the reference?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has offered me another of his properties to rent !
I assume thisbis not suitable. Have you delodted the matter to your local council?
INC Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. But this surely proves that he lied in his reference otherwise he would not have offered me another of his properties. Originally he claimed that he wanted me out because he needed the house for his family. This is a scam to increase the rents. He has me over a barrel I cannot move without a decent reference from him.


I note your comments and see your argument. I would suggest that you report the landlord to the licensing department of your local council. They will review the matter and provide a response.

The Council.may be able to provide a refence or security bond for you.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Many thanks