INC Law
INC Law, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  LL.B, LPC, LL.M, Pg.Dip, Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

Bad reference from landlord full of lies scuppers new

Bad reference from landlord full of lies scuppers new tenancy move
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: Yes deposits paid guarantors provided
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: New property in Selly Oak Birmingham
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Present bad landlords reference is stopping the move

Thank you for your query. Is this a private landlord or was your reference provided by an agency?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Private landlords of 10 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is claiming tardy and missing payments over 10 years but he has been paid in cash every month

Have you spoken with the landlord about the reference?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has offered me another of his properties to rent !
I assume thisbis not suitable. Have you delodted the matter to your local council?
Reported
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. But this surely proves that he lied in his reference otherwise he would not have offered me another of his properties. Originally he claimed that he wanted me out because he needed the house for his family. This is a scam to increase the rents. He has me over a barrel I cannot move without a decent reference from him.

I note your comments and see your argument. I would suggest that you report the landlord to the licensing department of your local council. They will review the matter and provide a response.

The Council.may be able to provide a refence or security bond for you.

I hope this answers your questions. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.