RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

I've rented a flat till 31st May 2020 (I'm not there

Hello, I've rented a flat till 31st May 2020 (I'm not there anymore) . The flat came with a TV and aerial and obligation to pay the TV Licence fees. The aerial broke last November 2019 and I complained with the agency since then. They never fixed the problem . Can Iclaim back the tv licence fees I've incurred since then? Can I claim back also the part of the rent related to the TV?Many thanks

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today

Please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.

You will also receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically generated by the website. I would be happy to facilitate a phone call with you however, do note that there will be a premium service charge should you accept this, you of course, do not have to click the phone call option.

You can certainly ask and have right to make a claim. However, I don't think you will be successful for the following reasons. firstly, you have already paid the rent to them so unless you make a small claims action I think you will have extreme practical difficulty in getting money back from them. Secondly, a TV licence is required if you have any device in the house which is capable of transmitting a broadcast so, Phone, laptop, PS4, Xbox and the list goes on. You would have to be able to show that you were not able to access any TV during that time by any means, which I think everyone in today's society will find difficult. Therefore even if you were successful I don't think the amount of energy you will have to put into this would be worth the financial outcome. However, yes you can make a claim if you so wish this is entirely your choice. I wish you all the best and hope you are safe.

I hope this information has helped.

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. I won’t be paid for my time from the website if there is no rating left for me.

Many Thanks

Ross

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Can I claim for the fact that he hasn't fixed a problem since November 2019 till 31st May 2020 and therefore leaving me without TV? Moreover I let them know in November 2019 that the antenna cable coming to the flat was leaking water, in fact, it broke their bt tv box. I want to claim only because the landlord has been extremely difficult and he is now claiming that he wants me to paint one very small wall saying that he never agreed with that to be painted.

Yes you can claim this is a breach of contract so you can make a claim in the small claims court. You can also represent yourself in this matter rather than instructing a solicitor as these are fairly straight forward claims. You can do a simple internet search for "small claims process" and you will get the application on the .gov website.

I hope this information has helped.

Many Thanks

Ross

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I calculate the amount to be claimed? Many thanks

As this is out-with the original question, as per website rules, I would be obliged if you could rate the answer I have previously given to the question asked then I can offer further Q&A time to you. Many Thanks.