How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 19534
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

I would like to ask compensation to my landlord due to the

This answer was rated:

i would like to ask compensation to my landlord due to the flat upstairs problem with the boiler and water was leaking to my flat and damage my house and my stuff inside , please give me the procedure what should i do? seem like I need to get a lawyer to write the letter to them?

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

You need to write a letter, set out your losses and request compensation within 30 days or say you will go to Court. This is called a pre-action protocol letter of claim. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy. You must give 30 days warning before going to Court.

If they do not compensate you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: or by completing form N1 and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value, you would need representation for trial.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today, please?

If not, I would appreciate a 5-star rating for my answer, by clicking the button at the top of the screen. I am not paid for my time unless you rate.

If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you think i will able to claim ? as i live the flat 45 but the flat 47 was a problem with water leaking?

Yes I think you have a decent case.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all will cover my personal belongings? why the landlord from the flat upstairs ask me to contact a lawyer to process claim

Yes it will.

Does that assist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi there , 1. i rent the flat ,45 battery road , se280jl , 2. Miss sofia , she live in the flat*****but rent from agency 2.1 On 20 feB 2020 , the flat 47 , battery road ,Se28ojl , night time 4.00 am , the boiler was broken and water was leaking into my flat, kitchen , toilet, storeroom, bedroom, wardrobe, the electricity around the house was unable to use, all my flat fully with water
3. i found all my bandname stuff like example , chanel ,LV ,YSL , balenciaga triple , Macbook , and clothes are not working the same, need to repair and some not working
4.i have try to complain to Sofia who live in the flat*****and her Agency but seem like all them said i have to process to the court as they are not responsibility to my stuff at alll as insurance not cover.
5.i have try to speak to all those people i feel like no one want to responded for anything that why i need someone who manage it . health start problem as the flat environment , worry every night from water as well as cost of my stuff over 5,000 GBP

Ok - I outlined how to bring a claim. Did you see my response above?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can follow that right


Does that assist?

If this answers your question could I invite you to rate me 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today?

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! If you need anything further I am available for a follow up at no extra cost. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi there , today the landlord of flat 47 just came and mention to me that they will pay for the little damage repair bag spa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
which is not good for me i want to official claim to them what should i do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also i have try to fill up the application from that you provide me seem like not working ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago. a
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi which one i have to select Claim form (CPR Part 7) (Form N1)
PDF, 83.5KB, 2 pages ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do i need to pay anything ? i need spacial people to write my english ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if i use solicitor who wil pay for it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when i wrote a proof of purchase item does i need the recept?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my name should be on Claimant(s) name(s) and address(es) including postcode ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Defendant(s) name and address(es) , i have to put name of the people who i would like to claim ? if i know only first name will be ok ?

You need to write in English yes.

Yes you re the claimant. It needs your address.

Yes, you need the name and address of the Defendant.

First name is fine

Does that help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will write the situation same as i wrote to you will be ok ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the purchase of a bag that i want to claim some of them missing the receipt.
will be ok ?

Forgive me, you wanted to get compensation, that was your question.

I have told you exactly how to do it and where to go.

You have still not rated positively.

Once you rate positive I can provide further guidance.

I am not paid until you rate.

Jamie-Law and 2 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you


Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i have more question from my previous situation
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hi the landloard offer me the compensation but only 500 pound ,
what should i do if i would like to get more money ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Aug 13, 2020, 11:59 AM (5 days ago)
to me, adminDear Miss ChairatchatakulWithout PrejudiceI write further to your email to Miss Adetona.I am the lessee of the top floor flat. I have taken legal advice from my solicitors today and they have highlighted that any claim, if such damage had occurred, would be made against your own contents insurance provider. I therefore respectfully ***** ***** liaise with your own insurance company to see if any compensation can be obtained.As a gesture of goodwill I would be prepared to offer you payment in the sum of £500. My solicitor has advised against this and accordingly the offer will only remain open for acceptance until 5pm 18th August 2020.This is not subject to negotiation.Kind regards

Just reject it and sue.