F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I have vacated a shop i was doing the dilapidations but

Customer Question

I have vacated a shop i was doing the dilapidations but lockdown hit before i could finnish landlord wanted keys back now he will not let me return to finnish and wants a inflated price to finnish the work what can he do if he gets his contractors to finish the work
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service.

what exactly does he want his contractor to finish?

and what is the bill?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are depredations at the end of the lease they ask for 2 k but is only £100 POUND OF WORK
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Why did you not finish the work before vacated?

Did you vacate before the end of the term and if so why did you not do the work before then?

I need to know the timescale for vacating and when the lease was to end please.

Does the landlord have a deposit?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Covid hit us contractors stopped by police saying cannot travel that far for work then one came down with the virus
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

I am not aware that there is any restriction on how far builders can travel to work or anyone else can travel to work for that matter.

I need to know when the term ended and when you vacated.

If there is only GBP100 worth of work to do, that would appear to be something that could be done in the morning so I don’t know why it wasn’t finished.