How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2825
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

I am renting a 2-bedroom flat since February 8th and for 3

This answer was rated:

Hello. I am renting a 2-bedroom flat since February 8th and for 3 months, the second bedroom had no electricity. The landlord is refusing to agree any sort of compensation.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No, I want to establish whether I am entitled to any compensation as I believe the absence of electricity and that bedroom and bathroom renders them technical uninhabitable.
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: In London
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The flat is managed by an agency so I am not speaking directly with the landlord

Welcome to JA. I’m Vineet, a UK qualified & practicing Solicitor and I will be dealing with your case today

Could you please confirm if the electricity has been restored in that room?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been, yes.

Thank you for your reply.

I will get back to you with my answer shortly. The system will notify you via email when this happens.

Many Thanks

Thank you for your patience.

  • As a tenant, you have every right to expect the accommodation you are renting to be in a safe condition and good state of repair. Firstly You can formally write to your landlord /agents first and try to come to some agreement regarding compensation for the loss of the electricity.
  • If your landlord fails to address your concerns in a satisfying fashion, you can seek to resolve the matter with an alternative dispute resolution or an ADR . You can seek the help of a trade body, which the landlord is a member of like – NLA, RLA, HOS.
  • You should have approached during the electricity outage, your local council for help. They have a Tenancy Relations Officer (TRO) who may be able to assist you. However, you can still get in touch with your local council for mediating with your Landlord.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.


If that answers your question, Kindly remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of your screen before you leave JA today,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok let me review and complete shortly. Thank you.

Please do not forget to rate the answer by selecting the 5 stars at the top of your screen before you leave JA today, so that I could get credited for my time.

Thank you and all the best.

Vineet S and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does my landlord have to be part of a trade body? They are a private landlord and are using Marsh & Parsons to manage the tenancy. If they are not, how can I find the right contact to start an ADR process?
Is the council TRO not for council housing only?

Local Council intervenes in the private renting sector as well. All agents are required to be members of their professional bodies.

So the Agents Marsh & Parson must be a member of their professional regulatory body

They are required by law to be a member of these regulatory bodies