How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question
Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2554
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

I rented out a room in my 2 bedroom flat, to a lodger (Oct

Customer Question

I rented out a room in my 2 bedroom flat, to a lodger (Oct 2019) on a monthly rolling lodger agreement. He decided shortly after moving in that it was ok to break most of the rules on an ongoing basis. I have also ran a small home business from the address for the best part of 10 years. Said business requires me to constantly maintain clinical levels of hygiene at the premises. My problem with this particular lodger, was that he was abusing drugs, causing my flat to stink of cannabis. Aside from that, there were many other issues and clearly could not live together. Obviously that unequivocally breached any agreement. I evicted him at the end of February, after talking, warnings and serving appropriate notice, following every rule and guideline I could find. Now, the council are threatening me with legal action, because of an 'alleged illegal eviction'.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have tried to speak to the council to no avail, and I have raised a complaint against their operative.
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: Coventry
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Lea and I have reviewed your query.

Do you have a copy of the letter the council sent you? Please attach it.

Please bear in mind this is an email service and not a live chat so responses may not be instantaneous. I am not available for calls, but in all cases it is very likely you can be helped online.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was an appointment for a pace interview. I don't seem to be able to upload files here
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 1 year ago.

So it's a police matter, not property law?

Expert:  SASH_Law replied 1 year ago.

You can attach files using the paperclip/document icon?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not a police matter. I am being investigated by the council because the tenant told them I illegally evicted him
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no paperclip icon
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no paperclip
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forget it