Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I took on a tenancy for a flat and paid the full deposit. a

Customer Question

hi - i took on a tenancy for a flat and paid the full deposit. a few months later my partner was added to the tenancy - no amendments were made to the deposit. i am now moving out and my name is ***** ***** removed from the lease. however the estate agent is saying they cannot return my deposit as the lease is continuing in my (ex)partners name. instead they want to put the deposit in his name. is this true - and is there a way i can get my depositback?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: the estate agent is ready to ttake my name off the tenancy as soon as i have paid the upfront fees
JA: Where is the flat located?
Customer: exeter
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the rent from when he joined the tenacy was paid up front for a year and i have been paying him half of it monthly, however we have no written agreement
Expert:  LegalNinja replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I will be assisting you today with your query. Kindly note, this is not a chat service and my responses may be delayed due to assisting other users.

You may request a phone call through the site for an additional small fee. This is an automatic offer made by the system giving you the opportunity to pay extra to discuss things over the phone. However, it is entirely optional and if you just ignore it and close it down you will not be charged extra and we will just continue in writing at no extra cost.

Expert:  LegalNinja replied 1 year ago.

What type of tenancy do you have? Are you still within your fixed term?

Expert:  LegalNinja replied 1 year ago.

Hello do you still require assistance?