How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 2849
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

I was wondering whether you could advise me on something,

This answer was rated:

Hi Pearl, I was wondering whether you could advise me on something
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: Myself and my housemate are currently renting a property in Clapham through Dexters. We have a 24 month lease with an 18month break clause, however, the agents are in breach of the contract as they were meant to do a few bits of work to the property back in August/September 2019 when we signed/moved into the property. Since then, they have done a few manicure type jobs but nothing with any permancey. My housemates windows are rotten and causing mould in his bedroom, I have damp in my wardrobe and around my windows. There are a number of spindles broken and a couple of the stairs are concaving due to damaged carpets and poor maintenance. These are just a few of the issues we have recorded so far. Since we took on this agreement there have been 95 email exchanges (up to Feburary 2020) with us polietly asking them to see to the work, or to give us an update on the works. They have been rude, dismissive and have taken days/weeks to reply to emails and phone calls. We have now got in touch with the landlord informing him of this situation and the poor maintenance the flat has and the crap treatment we have recieved. We initially got an email back from him saying he would go through the emails (broken down in an excel spreadsheet by me to make the process easier). Since then we have heard nothing from him. We have since taken the step to withhold the rent until they action or give us some feedback. They responded with a standard 15 business day response. My housemate has understandably got a little frustrated by this and so I spoke to the property management agent earlier who was really rude and also said that she had only just put this issue on her to-do list 7 days after recieveing the complaint. Whilst I understand that they have the right to those 15 days we want to know what we should be looking at in the next steps. We are paying a lot of money for this apartment and it is not meeting the standards that we expect considering the amount we are paying and the condition of the flat is so shoddy. The previous tennant lived there for 6 years and no work was done when they left... I am leaning towards terminating our agreement for several reasons but mainly due to the crap service and the state of the property being so shoddy.
JA: Have they talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: I dont believe they have spoken to a lawyer
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. I would like to get out of the apartment as I am currently furloughed with little job security and dealing with the agents leaves me so frustrated and upset as I feel like I have been sold a huge lie with this agency.

Welcome to JA. I’m Vineet, a UK qualified & practicing Solicitor and I will be dealing with your case today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Vineet, thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I would prefer to access your guidance and advise from here

Hi there,

I will be with you in a short while.


Thank you for your patience.

Under the new Homes (Fitness for Human Habitation) Act, rented houses and flats should be ‘fit for human habitation’, which means that they are safe, healthy, and free from things that could cause serious harm.

One of the problems the house should be free of is dampness and mould.

Your landlord must make sure that your home is ’fit for human habitation’, which means that it’s safe, healthy, and free from things that could cause you or anyone else in your household serious harm. If the house is mouldy and damp, it can affect the health of the occupants.

If you have already complained about the state of the house to the Landlord and he has failed to carry out their repairing or management duties to bring this to the attention of their local council.

Make a complaint to the Environmental Health department of your local council regarding the condition of your rented accommodation, as they can intervene, ask the Landlord to do the repairs at the earliest and can issue fines

If you need further assistance, please let me know.


If that answers your question, Kindly remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of your screen before you leave JA today, so that I could get credited for my time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cool thanks :)

Please don`t forget to rate the answer before you leave JA today, so that I could get credited for my time

Thank you and all the best.

Vineet S and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you