How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask F E Smith Your Own Question
F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 18744
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I have just received council tax bills which have been

Customer Question

Hi there
I have just received council tax bills which have been amended to a second property cost - ie: council tax + 50%, both this year & last years...
It is true, due to circumstance I haven't been staying there for the majority of the year; however this is my only home...
Again due to circumstances, I haven't yet changed over my banks or driving license to this address...
Additionally, my business had to close due to Covid-19 & so this has left me with no income...
Can they do this? What can I do to reverse this decision on their behalf, please?
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I will assist with your question - be aware this is an email not chat service.

to clarify -

you state second property cost but then go on to say its your only home?

where have you been staying?

how long have you been iiving somewhere else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been back & forth - I was due to return to the property late March, however, the lockdown happened...
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 year ago.

I feel this is outside my sphere of expertise and I am therefore going to opt out for another expert to consider.

The thread is now open to all experts.

Please do not reply as a matter of course or courtesy, as it means that the question thread comes back into my inbox.

An expert with the necessary expertise will reply when they are online.

Kind regards