How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SS Legal Advisor Your Own Question
SS Legal Advisor
SS Legal Advisor, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1053
Experience:  Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
SS Legal Advisor is online now

I engaged a local solicitor last July to deal with a simple

This answer was rated:

Hi I engaged a local solicitor last July to deal with a simple change of access for our neighbour at a house I own in Lowick Northumberland.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Yes the whole thing should have been completed by now except my solicitor submitted a plan to the land registry which was not compatible with their rules.I received a bill from him and from our neighbour's solicitor in December 2019 which I stupidly paid (the total was more than one thousand pounds) as I was led to believe it needed to be paid before they could complete.11 months on the change has still not been registered with the land registry and I am now being hassled by the neighbours who have their property for sale and need this legalised.My solicitor was supposed to be trying to ring land registry and said he would ring me today which he has not done.I have spoken to his office staff who have emailed him and asked him to ring me tomorrow as he had already left for the weekend by 3pm,.I have also requested that he call to see me on Monday as he is not seeing people at his office because of the virus.I am now at the end of my tether with this and would really appreciate your advice.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No not so far I wondered if I could report him to the law society.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I do not want to incur further expense because I have already paid out so mu h money to him and the neighbours solicitor.
Hi there,You can most certainly report him to the Law Society but you will need to raise an in house complaint too (they will require this to be done prior). Once this has done you have two methods of escalating this case;1) The Legal Ombudsmen - they are a third party independent adjudicator who will look into your case in great detail (it is also a free service). Further information can be found here - The legal ombudsmen will also award you your costs back + damages if you are successful.2) The Law Society - for further information please view the following link - have a number of grounds for complaint, failure of basic due diligence, not being clear on costs at the outset of the transaction and also lack of client care.I hope this helps and please do leave positive feedback. If I can assist with anything else, please do let me know.Kind regards,
SS Legal Advisor and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is very helpful thank you very much I will certainly recommend your service.