james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

Do I have rights to privacy if my neighbour is cutting my

Hello Do I have rights to privacy if my neighbour is cutting my over hangig tree in his garden. I know he is allowed to cut back to his boundary but I will lose all my privacy. Can I minimise what he is allowed to cut because of this 'right' I have to privacy?

Hello I will assist you today

I appreciate what you are saying about your privacy.

unfortunately, your screen of privacy from your tree stops t your boundary.

Your neighbour has a legal right to cur back any overhanging branches that cross onto his property. He is only allowed to cut them back to the boundary and no further. To rub salt into the wound, He must then actually offer to give you the branches back, as they are still your property.

His right to protect his property overrides your right of privacy from the tree.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you James. Argh that is so annoying. What rights if any do I have? I hear that he can call any old tom dick or harry to do the work and butcher my trees and I dont even have a say in that. I'd prefer a qualified tree surgeon but I seriously doubt they will get someone qualified. What rights do I have over them carrying out this work?

Like you, I always use tree surgeons to trim my trees.
unfortunately he does not need to.

However if he cuts back past the boarder or causes any damage he will br liable for the damage.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also what if their worker doesn't have Public Insurance Liability? Cannot I not at least demand that before they chose someone to come do the work? They are not telling me when they will get the work done or what day? Surely they need to let me know as an obligation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If damages occur can I only claim if I have home insurance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello?

Unfortunately not, but you would take action against the neighbour. If damaged caused by a third party

You could either claim on your insurance policy or sue next door.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you James for all your help. Stay safe.

Thank you, ***** *****

come back if you get any problems.

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. Although you have already paid, I won’t be paid by Justanswer for my time if there is no rating left for me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem at all. My pleasure James.