Ask an Property Solicitor. Get an Answer ASAP.
Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.
1. The neighbour has no lawful authority to block off access to this piece of unregistered land. This is because the unregistered land has its own lawful owner which can be ascertained by getting a local solicitor to search in the local Registry of Deeds. This will have a complete record of all deeds pertaining to the property so the registered owner can be ascertained. However, as there is a lawful right of way over the piece of unregistered land due to long user, anyone who uses the lawful right of way from the Council car park, can take out an injunction to prevent this neighbour from interfering with their lawful passage over the land to the car park. Additionally, the Council can take out an injunction and claim damages against this neighbour for interfering with the lawful ingress and egress from their car park. So, if you attend the meeting with the Ward Councillors and one of the Council lawyers and the resident, you should make clear there is an ability to prevent this neighbour from interfering with the passage to the car park over this unregistered land.
2. Ultimately, this neighbour may be seeking to claim squatter's title to the unregistered land because this is still possible, as such a claim can still be made against the 12% of the land in England and Wales which is unregistered land. However, in order to make a valid claim to ownership, the neighbour must fence off the land to all other users and bar the title of the true owner. So, this is probably why the neighbour is blocking off access over the passage way - to claim ownership himself.
3. You should not worry about conflicts of interest which may occur on the Council's side. Essentially, the Ward Councillor is an elected public representative elected to serve their constituents who use this passageway. So, there is nothing wrong with the Ward Councillor in helping the resident, as this is not part of the actual non elected officials of the Council, who handle the administration of the Council. So, there is no conflict.
4. Thank you for using the website. If you require clarification, I will be happy to help. Please use the buttons at the top of the screen to Rate or Accept the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website despite answering your question.
5. You are welcome. Best wishes.
6. To complete the process with the website, be sure to use the buttons at the top of the page to rate the answer.