Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I need some advice! I have a tenancy which was for 12 months

Customer Question

Hello i need some advice! I have a tenancy which was for 12 months it is now a rolling tenancy... however the landlord did not take a deposit instead last 3 months in rent... I gave my 3 months notice in March and paid my last months rent on 10th of March... the landlord is now saying he will turn off my utilities On June 10th of I do not vacate at this point as, he is stating that I said I would act as a guarantor for a young person I referred to him for a tenancy and the young person failed to pay his rent. I did not say I would act as a guarantor I never signed his tenancy agreement or anything else stating this. I know I should not be asked to leave the tenancy in June but unsure what I can do?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you. I am just reviewing your question. This is an email service so there may be delays when responding.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

What is it you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where I stand
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is he allowed to turn of my utilities on the 16th of June and if he does do this what should I do?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

No, that would be illegal.

You could call the Police or get a Court order.

He is NOT, I repeat NOT permitted to turn them off

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would I get a court order?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would the police not just say that it is a civil matter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am really nervous and unsure as it is a business and he know that we have vulnerable young people in there he is bullying me and has been for some time I have agreed to move with my 3 months notice as he wouldn’t let me out of the tenancy early ... now that didn’t work he is saying I just pay the young persons rent for a house which has nothing to do with me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any words I could use in a letter or any law I could quote so he knows I mean business. He has practiced law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

You can get an injunction by completing forms N1:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n1-claim-form-cpr-part-7

And N16a:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/form-n16a-application-for-injunction-general-form

The Court will set own for urgent hearing and decide whether to stop him doing this.

If the Court does and he breaks it, this could be contempt of Court which he might be fined, warned or sent to prison.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you I have accepted a call request from you and I think you tried to call as my battery went if you could call me back that would be great
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jamie although we have not spoken will
It still charge me the £44
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jamie are you still there? I am wanting to go to bed but waiting for your call
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

You havent accepted the call.

There is no call request showing......

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry we are on 2 different chats... I think the previous person I was talking to referred me to you then you messaged directly...
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 year ago.

Sure