How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 8837
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

I acquired a victorian cottage in August 2017 but six months

This answer was rated:

Hi, I acquired a victorian cottage in August 2017 but six months after, my neighbour has blocked access to the shared alleyway. Unfortunately, my electric meter is at the other end and my supplier has had to read the meter by going through my neighbour's house to gain access. I've have told them that it is illegal not to give services direct access but they appear to think that its okay so long as they allow access through their property. Also, they have advised that my property wall down the alley belongs to them so I'm not allowed access to check. I had my house painted last week but despite giving notice for access to paint, they refused access through the alley way. When I purchased the property, I was given an access key, but although I can unlock the padlock, my neighbour have filled the alley with a piano and other things to stop me gaining access. I have the plans and deeds for both properties and it clearly states that I have access but they have also advised that they are turning the alley into a hallway for their house and are going to build an extension across the back, linked to my ground floor bathroom. Could you please advise if this is something that you could advise and assist with and of course, how much this would cost. Many thanks. Chrissie
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: Hi Pearl, I have tried to be reasonable with them and have filed nothing as of yet.
JA: Where is the cottage located?
Customer: Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only with regards ***** ***** boundary dispute. Thank you.

Hi Chrissie, they will be incorrectly blocking access so you can bring a claim against them for that breach however, this is not something we can represent you to do. I recommend initially engaging a solicitor to write a letter to them requesting they clear the alley and allow you access as required. If you want to find a solicitor to assist with this process you can find a solicitor using the Law Society find a solicitor search option here: You can search by town or postcode to find one near you, as well as area of law in this case family law. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Jeremy Aldermartin and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you