How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SS Legal Advisor Your Own Question
SS Legal Advisor
SS Legal Advisor, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1053
Experience:  Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
SS Legal Advisor is online now

I have a tenant who has left the property, children are

This answer was rated:

I have a tenant who has left the property, children are still living there and her ex partner have moved in. Tenant is restricted from seeing the children and social worker is involved. Can I issue a new tenancy agreement to the ex-partner. Unable to contact tenant.
JA: What steps have been taken so far? Has any paperwork been prepared or filed?
Customer: Everything has been verbal from the ex-partner so far. Unsure what paperwork to send
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Southampton, England
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO

Hi there,

Can you confirm how long the ex partner has been living at the property for?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For the past 9 weeks. He is going to court in early July to stop her having access, to protect the children.

Hi there,

If the tenant has absconded and left the property, then you can go ahead and have a tenancy agreement in place with the ex-partner. Please remember to serve the usual documents - how to rent checklist, gas safe certificate and valid energy performance certificate with the deposit going into the a recognised tenancy deposit scheme.

If the old tenant is going to court in July to stop her having access, then that will be between them and this will have no affect on you as a landlord. Should the ex partner also vacate, we can chase for a s8 notice (rent arrears).

I hope this helps and please leave positive feedback. If I can assist with anything else, please do let me know.

Kind regards,

SS Legal Advisor and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you