How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SS Legal Advisor Your Own Question
SS Legal Advisor
SS Legal Advisor, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1053
Experience:  Senior Caseworker at DL Solicitors
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
SS Legal Advisor is online now

My mum put my name solely on the Deeds as she wanted me to

Customer Question

My mum put my name solely on the Deeds as she wanted me to have it when she died. That was 1998 and she died in 2016,t thinking of selling but I am concerned about Capital Gains Tax implications can you help
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: no
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Abbots Langley Herts
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i think that is sufficient
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  SS Legal Advisor replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

You may be liable for capital gains tax. Please use the following link for further guidance and also use their online calculation to see if you are liable to pay Capital Gains Tax;

Further information -

Calculator - If you do need to pay capital gains tax, I would also advise to consult an accountant immediately.

I hope this helps and please leave positive feedback. If I can assist with anything else, please do let me know.

Kind regards,