ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

I have signed a lease surrender with my leandkdah who has

Customer Question

Hi - I have signed a lease surrender with my leandkdah who has agreed to let us leave when a suitable tenant is found but I want her to confirm that a new tenant will not be stopped from entering unreasonably what rights do I have
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have signed a surrender letter
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 1 month ago.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 1 month ago.

Good day your question has been forwarded to me to see if I may be able to assist

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 1 month ago.

I am not quite understanding the concern you have. Is it you that will be finding the new tenant?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello - no the landlady has agreed to look for a tenant and had put it into the market - I just want to make sure that she doesn’t stop reasonable tenants moving in to keep me locked in I worry as she is very picky she will make no rush to choose the most perfect seeming tenant for her rather than just accept a good tenant and let me out of the lease
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

The rights you have will depend largely on what is agreed between you both as this will be governed by the law of contract. What I recommend though is for you to have a fixed time for the lease to come to an end whether she finds someone or not. That way, you do not find yourself locked into the lease for an endless amount of time while she tries to replace you. Another option is for you to propose you also being able to recommend persons to her. That way, you may have some say or control too in getting a potential new tenant.

All in all though, there is no legal recourse if she decides not to find someone unless you specifically agree to what course she be adopted in relation to finding a new tenant.

Hope I clarified things for you. Kindly let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Kindly take the time to indicate your acceptance of the answer given. You may do this by clicking on the stars at the top of the page.

All the best

RL