How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Madhu Pal Your Own Question
Madhu Pal
Madhu Pal,
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 605
Experience:  Solicitor at HPLP Solicitors
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Madhu Pal is online now

I live in a leasehold property but my landlord says he

This answer was rated:

I live in a leasehold property but my landlord says he hasn't got a copy of the lease nor has the land Registry and I want to sell the house. The lease still has 882 years to run. The buyers solicitors say an indemnity insurance is not enough to cover the remaining years. Any suggestions
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have contacted the landlord and the land registry so far no joy, my solicitors have come up with an indemnity insurance but the buyers solicitors say it does not cover the outstanding years on the lease
JA: Where is the leasehold located?
Customer: A Company called Pinstone Securities Holdings Ltd
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have had an offer accepted on a house in Ashington but cannot sell mine due to this lease problem

Hi thank you for your message, is the lease meant to be registered with the land registry?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have paperwork from the land Registry which states when the lease was issued and to whom and how long it has to run, but they do not have a copy, and the original leaseholder sold it on to a company called Pinstone securities Holdings Ltd and they say they have not a copy

Unfortunately, I have no suggestions so I shall opt out for another expert to assist.

Good morning, when you bought the property can you clarify what documents your solicitor at the time reviewed? Could you forward me a copy of the Land Registry correspondence?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We bought the house in 1978 the solicitors are no longer in business. The land registry documents are attached

I see, I note the contents of the land registry documents. Under the circumstances you would need to get a new lease drafted. Do you know if the other properties in the building have a Leas assigned to their property? If so this would need to be a template for drafting the one for your property, with the appropriate parts amended. Then the landlord as well as your buyers solicitors would need to approve the same. Hope this helps?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lease is for 1 property only 35, Electric Avenue Harrogate HG1 2BB. If the landlord holds the lease, and people are living in the property does he legally have to have a legal copy which he can produce if there were any disputes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We paid land rent upto 2011 then Pinstone Securities Holdings Ltd stopped asking for it

Is it a detached building or what is the structure of the property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a mid terraced house

Are no leases available for the other terraced houses?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I Have no idea I know some bought the freehold years ago

Under the circumstances my comments from 07.06 still apply. You would need to get a new lease drafted and have it registered under the title. You will need to make contact with the freeholder to consent to this, if there are no other leases in the devolpment that could be used as a template you will just need to instruct a solicitor to draft a new lease entirely. But even if Pinestone stopped asking for money you need to make contact with them or find out if they have been taken over by another company. Perhaps conduct a companies house search. You will not be able to progress without a response from them. Hope this helps for now?

Is there anything else I can help with, otherwise I would appreciate if you could accept my answer. Many thanks

Madhu Pal,
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 605
Experience: Solicitor at HPLP Solicitors
Madhu Pal and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have contacted the landlord and he is going to sell me the freehold. Thanks for your help

No problem, thank you.