Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

I have question about my rights as a private tenant. The

Hi! I have question about my rights as a private tenant.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: The issue is that we faund a bed bugs in the property today and we spoke with the landlord about this. Her answe was the this:
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: 4. Bed Bugs,
You have all been in this property for many months and we have never had bed bugs before in this property. This means someone has brought them into the house in their clothes or bags and therefore this is your responsibility to pay for the cleaning. I understand that this was not done deliberately and you have notified me the landlord but as I say there have never been bed bugs in this house before you took residency. As you know this will be very important to do and to do as quickly as possible before it damages yourselves as well as beds, curtains and carpets
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to know is this my responsibility or landlord responsibility to provide safe conditions for living?

It is the landlords responsibility to ensure the property is safe to live in so they will need to deal with this issue. If they continue to refuse so then report them to environmental health and trading standards at the council. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.