JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I booked a holidayhome in Harwich/Dovercourt in february

Good afternoon, I booked a holidayhome in Harwich/Dovercourt in february this year for the period 28 august till 30 august. Then the owner came back and said: i don't rent out for two nights because this weekend is bank holiday. Minimum stay is three nights , though the website said "minimum stay is two nights" Ok i talked it over with my fellow travellers and we booked three nights. (not important: a yearly bridgemeeting between Harwich and Hoek van Holland was planned this time in Harwich) The downpayment ,124,- GBP had to be made within 24 hours and was paid via Paypal. In the beginning of march one of my fellow travellers fell seriously ill and had to cancel the trip. Soon after this i cancelled the booking via tripadvisor ( holidaylettings.co.uk) and sent the owner an email that we had to cancel our trip and offered him to split the downpayment, he 50% and i 50%. His answer : a fair proposal. Sent several requests to pay via Paypal but up to now no answer. Regards ***** ***** Portengen, Hoek van Holland
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Harwich, Essex
Your holiday rental toolkit• How do I pay?• How do I know if my booking is confirmed?• How do I edit my booking?• FAQs: Get answers to all of your rental-related questions.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: sent almost every week a request to pay back 62 GBP via Paypal
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing else.

Hello, this is Jim, a dual-qualified lawyer (UK & Republic of Ireland) and happy to help you today.

The fact you used PayPal means you can raise a dispute with PayPal and they may be able to refund you despite what the owner says - have you done this? And was it a credit card linked to the PayPal account?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your answer. Paypal is linked to american express credit card.

Thanks, ***** ***** case the money is insured and your card provider is jointly liable if something goes wrong - you can therefore contact Amex and ask them for a reimbursement under the consumer credit act. Or you can raise a dispute with PayPal, which will take longer but the end result is the same - I would recommend a call to Amex and ask if they will reimburse under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974. They should agree to this

It is one of the benefits of using a credit card - even if you spend £100 on a card, the whole sum is insured and the card provider is bound by statute to refund you (so useful for holidays, weddings, large purchases, etc).

I hope this helps? If I have answered the question would you kindly leave me a 5 star rating (at the top of your screen), any follow up questions are welcomed.

Many thanks,

Jim