How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1606
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I have a secure tenant with a council house but the house

This answer was rated:

I have a secure tenant with a council house but the house has been adapted for my son who has now passed away what are my rights to continue to live in the property and I’ve lived in the property for 15 years
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: This just happen last week
JA: Where is the house located?
Customer: London
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Who is on the tenancy agreement

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It’s me,
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Then it was 3bed and then did an extension later with adaptation for my son use for his wheelchair
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The extension and adaptation was done by the council

Hello, thank you for coming back with that information.

As it is your name on the tenancy agreement, then the property is in your name and you can remain where you are. That does not mean that the council would not contact you to see if you would move to a smaller property so they could utilise where you are for someone else with special needs.

many London areas offer good financial offers to downsize. But it would be up to you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Does that mean they cannot force me to downsize or go to court to get me out of the property

That is correct, the old government wanted to bring in laws to do that.

You have a right under Article 8 Human rights act.

Hello just checking back to see if I can assist further.

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. Although you have already paid, I won’t be paid by Justanswer for my time if there is no rating left for me.

james bruce and 4 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you