Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
106220719

I am a lodger and Thursday night my live-in landlady texted

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I am a lodger and Thursday night my live-in landlady texted me that I have to move out by 3rd of July as she is giving me a 28 days notice. I told her that I will try my best but it will be challenging due to Covid 19. She also said in the text message that if I keep ignoring her requests and keep damaging the property that I will have to leave immediately. To my reply she only said that letting market is back to normal. I have been living in this place for 2.5 years and we always got along really well but ever since the lockdown she has been harassing me and it got to the point where I felt so anxious that I was afraid to go down to the kitchen to prepare food for myself. I have tried to meet all her expectations but some of them were over the line and I have not damaged the property. For example she questioned why I am washing my hands that much and I told her I am only following the guidelines by the government due to covid and she wanted me to pay the increase on the paybill when it was not only me who found themselves at home all the due to home office or furlough in the house. Damage wise, there is one issue with my window that I might be partially responsible for. On Friday around 2pm she knocked on my door and took me to the bathroom that is used by her and me and she pointed at the ceiling where there was black mould. She accused me of pouring water and bleach on it on purpose. Which of course I would never do. She talked to me very aggressively and degrading and she has been doing for the last 2-3 months. She also raised her voice. I have always been respectful and polite with her even in the situations when she confronted me about something and she was hostile and degrading towards me. So back to Friday, after the bathroom confrontation she told me I have to leave the house immediately. I told her that she cannot just put me on the street and that I had started looking for place to move to and I will be out by my notice period. She said she talked to the police, the council and a social worker and they told her she can kick me out because she feels threatened by me. I have never given her reason to feel that way, I have felt threatened by her actually because of the way she has been treating me. I told her that I do not know what can I do or where can I go and asked her to give me a at least one night so I can do research. She said that as far she cares I can sleep in my car and if I do not leave she will call the police. Being shocked I went up to my room and started packing around 3pm and luckily I am staying at my friends which is far from ideal due to covid 19. I am exposing myself and them as well. She said I cannot enter the house without her permission and when I went over yesterday to gather more of my belongings like clothes and food with her permission there was two adults at the entrance if I know right they are belong in my landlady's family. I went up to the door and when I tried entering with code I have for it it did not work so I rang the bell. The landlady opened it and when I asked if she changed the code she said she did. Her daughter who does not live in the house was also there and they kept the living room door opened and kept watching me. If I understand correctly I have been evicted illegally and her changing the code on the door is also.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, where is this? And when did this happen?
Customer: Bristol and it happened this friday
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: we have no terms as far as I know or I was never told. when I moved in I payed 1 or 2 months of rent and deposit. There were not issues with maintenance and upkeep up until now when unfortunately there was something wrong with my window. It kinda got stuck a little bit and the outer layer got broken on the window but I am no expert so I am not sure if it was my fault
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i think that is all really. there is much more to the story because a lot happened in the last 3 months I just wanted to know more about the eviction really
Expert:  Joy Nicholas replied 2 months ago.
Hi, thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Can I confirm have you spoken to anyone else about this matter?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi,Thank you. I am trying manage is the best way I can.Well other seeking advice here I have talked to a union called Acorn and of course my friends who are helping me now and my parents. No on else.
Hi, thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your situation. She cannot evict you unless she has followed strict eviction procedures. can only be evicted if your landlord has followed the proper steps. They must:
1. give you a valid section 21 or section 8 notice
2. get a possession order from court if you haven't left by the date on the section 21 or section 8 notice
3. ask the court for a warrant of possession if you haven't left by the date on the possession order
4. get an eviction warrant from the court - this means bailiffs can make you leave your home
If your landlord hasn’t gone to court yet, it’s worth checking your section 21 notice or checking your section 8 notice first to make sure it’s valid. If your section 21 or section 8 notice isn't valid, you might be able to challenge the eviction and stay in your home.
Due to COVID19 courts are not currently reviewing these eviction notices and thus she cannot ask you to leave. I would advise that you make a formal complaint to your local council here. You can find your local council here:https://www.gov.uk/find-local-council
In regards ***** ***** property and the unlawful eviction I would advise that you write your landlord a letter setting out your claim and letting her know that she cannot evict you and keep your property. You should also tell her what you want from her I.e to move back in, collect your property at a specific date and time. At the end of the letter state that if you do not hear back in 14 days you will take legal action. You can find a solicitor in your area to write the letter for you if you want on your behalf and represent you if the matter goes to court. You can find a solicitor by using the law society find a solicitor link here:https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk you will be able to search by area and expertise. I hope this helps if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen and just answer will then credit me for helping you today

Hi, I hope all is well! I would appreciate if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen otherwise I receive no credit for helping you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Joy, I do apologise for the late reply I have been busy with finding a new place to move to and other enquiries due to my current situation. I very much thank you for your response and your help with all this, very much appreciated. I am aware of the Covid-19 rule that has been set out by the government but as far as I am aware it does not apply to me as I am lodger. I did mention it in my original letter.Kind regards
Brigitta Balla
Hi, thank you for your message. I would advise that you contact your local council here:https://www.gov.uk/find-local-council to explain the situation and ask for emergency housing. I hope this helps if you can please accept my answer there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question today top right corner of your screen and just answer will then credit me for helping you today