F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

Does an internal wall - party wall on a semi indicate where

Customer Question

Does an internal wall - party wall on a semi indicate where a fence should be placed on the outside wall
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Cardiff Wales
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: We moved the fence to be inline as the house was vacant but the landlord has turned up and said he wants it moved back
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 2 months ago.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am happy to wait a little longer
Expert:  F E Smith replied 1 month ago.

I have been asked to look at this for you.

It is actually quite a common question.

It really depends on a whole variety of factors including, very often, the age of the house because although nowadays the internal boundary would normally reflect the external boundary and the mythical boundary pencil line would continue as if it were one straight line, in older properties, and particularly terraced houses, the external boundary feature was very often placed anywhere on the ground without worrying too much about how it lined up with the internal boundaries.

If you can let me have a plan with some kind of narrative and a photograph of the old position and the new position, as much detail as possible, I may be able to expand my answer for you.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

Please take a moment to look at the top right-hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen.

You may need to login again to use the rating service. Although it says "rate to finish" it doesn't close the thread and we can still exchange emails.

It's important that you use the rating service because that gives me credit.

It doesn't just give me a pat on the head! It's what gets me paid!!

There is also an experts incentive scheme whereby the more 5 star ratings I get I do actually get a pat on the head!

All you need to do is press Submit.

If you still need any points clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES