james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-Advocate
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
90006247

I am at the risk of eviction by my parents and I am 21 years

Hello, good afternoon I am at the risk of eviction by my parents and I am 21 years old I was hoping I could get some legal advice on this matter
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I live in the UK, in London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing so far. There was just a huge argument in the house which happens daily - between my other siblings and my parents And my mother accused me of poisoning their minds, etc So she said I need to leave the house and she is giving me a 3 days notice I told her that isn't fair since I pay rent There is no physical contract - it is all verbal
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have proof of paying rent through my online banking system since October 2019 but nothing from before that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long is this going to take? Why has my money been deducted when this is a free trial?

Hello, I will assist.

As you are at home and paying rent, you are classed as a Lodger.

Your parents are within the law to ask you to leave, if you fail to, they can evict you without a court order.

The amount of notice they must give would depend of the rent you pay. If you pay weekly, then they must give you a weeks notice in writing. If you pay monthly, then they must give you a months notice.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your response. This has been very useful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have one last question: We are actually tenants on rented property including my parents. I realised it was important to mention. Can they still kick me out since I am a co-tenant?

If you are named on the tenancy agreement then no.