How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 8925
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

I want to know if the leaseholders on the ground floor of

This answer was rated:

Hi, I want to know if the leaseholders on the ground floor of the freehold house I co-own had to install rat prevention into the drains when they built a new extension as I have rats and they are refusing access to the drains for a CCTV inspection. Is it UK building regulations to install rodent prevention to stops rats entering the building?
JA: What steps have they taken so far? Have they prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No they are just refusing access to the pest control company to inspect the drains for rat entry points.
JA: Where is the freehold located?
Customer: The freehold is the house and it is held as a Limited Company, the leaseholder on the ground floor has made herself the 'controlling director'. I object to this. We all own equal share.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just want to know, when building a residential extension is the UK building regulations law that they must have installed rodent proofing into the drains.

Hi thank you for your message, it is part of best practice for example the chartered institute of environmental health recommends rodent protection be incorporated into building plans and this is therefore sometimes incorporated into planning permission. In particular where drains and sewers enter and exit the building they should be sealed to prevent a rodent infestation. I hope this helps, if you can please accept my answer and rate me 5 stars (in the top right of your screen) then Just Answer will credit me for helping you today.

Jeremy Aldermartin and 2 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you