How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 3232
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I'm a buy to let landlord. My tenant didn't pay rent for

This answer was rated:

I'm a buy to let landlord. My tenant didn't pay rent for month of May and hasn't paid yet for June. He's been my tenant for a couple of years. He's not answered any calls or texts from me and I have written 3 letters with no reply. He's not answering the door either. How do I proceed?? We're in Scotland and he's on a short assured tenancy.
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I've sent him 3 letters iver past month asking him to get on touch to discuss his lack of payment and askimg him to get on touch to discuss or make payment asap. Nothing legal yet. Just want to know how to proceed please.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?
Customer: No that's why I'm contacting you.
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think so

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today

Please note there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website are all third party and are not on here full time.

You will also receive a request for a phone call. This is automatically generated by the website. I would be happy to facilitate a phone call with you however, do note that there will be a premium service charge should you accept this, you of course, do not have to click the phone call option.

Thank you

Do you know if they tenant is still in the premises?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm presuming so. My husband tried to get in and key wouldn't go in so think they're in and their keys is in the other side. (We had written to say we were coming to inspect the flat)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should we do next?? O was starting to think I should call his work or get the police to do a welfare check on him as no response from him at all.

I think a welfare check is a responsible way forward. I would continue to tell the tenant that you are going to access the flat. If you still don't get a response then you are going to want to give the tenant notice that you have concerns and are going to change the locks and enter the premises. You will have a written agreement that you are allowed access to the property and if they don't allow this then they are in breach of contract. If they don't contact you then you can have a locksmith change the locks to allow you to enter the property. With Scottish short assured tenancies, then if the tenant doesn't pay rent for 3 months then you have the right to evict them.

I hope this information has helped.

I would be obliged if you could Click the 5 stars at the top of the webpage (this will not cost any extra). This will tell the website that I have responded to your question, you can, of course, continue to ask any follow up questions free of charge. I won’t be paid for my time from the website if there is no rating left for me.

Many Thanks


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I will do that.

You are very welcome. I would be obliged if you could use the 5 stars at the top of the page to rate my advice. Many Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do. Can't seem to find the place to rate you. Maybe we need to finish the chat first??

I have activated it now there should be 5 stars at the top of the webpage now. Many Thanks.

RJM Law and other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you