How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Madhu Pal Your Own Question
Madhu Pal
Madhu Pal,
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 604
Experience:  Solicitor at HPLP Solicitors
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Madhu Pal is online now

I live with my mum in a council property. In 2014 I

This answer was rated:

I live with my mum in a council property. In 2014 I purchased as part of the Right to Buy scheme and the mortgage is in my name. My mum and myself are joint leaseholders.,. My mother is 88 and has dementia and will need to go into long term care by January 2021. I just need to know can the council take the property off me to pay for her long term care. I am 52 and if tgat happens I will be homeless
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: I have a copy of the lease and this confirms that both of us are leaseholders. I just don't know what the law states and what I can do. Have spoken to Lambeth Council but they are no help. There is sokj
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Sw2 3ll Streatham London lb Lambeth
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No nothing really all I need to know is where I stand in terms of the general law and how I get something in writing that legally protects me from the council taking the property off me. Also is there a charge for this service before you proceed

Good morning, if the mortgage is in your sole name how are you both the leaseholders? Do you have a copy of your title deeds you can show me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can email you a copy of the lease is there a email I can send it to
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK I can send a copy of the lease what is the email I send it to
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am I still charged the £44
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can we have the online chat please see my message above

Yes the automated call is from Just Answer It has been opened up to other experts so do not answer any calls so you will not be charged. We can continue with the chat

It is not the lease i need but the leasehold title deed you received when you registered the property. You can add attachments on this service.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can we continue with the online chat where do I send the lease to

You clicked on request call.

You need to send it via here, there is an attachment option

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apologies can't find the attachment option

I am not sure how the screen shows up on your side so unfortunately cannot advise. For us the attachment is above the chat screen

Can you describe what is stated under "proprietorship register" on the title deeds

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid I can't see that it gives mine and my mother's n as me under the deeds

Are you looking at the lease or title deeds?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The lease
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can contact my mortgage broker to get the deeds or ask them re propertorship register

The lease is not applicable in this circumstance, I am trying to establish the ownership of the property - which the lease does not confirm. If you were not provided the deed once you bought the property you can download a copy of the leasehold title from the land registry for £3.00. This will confirm, if it is just in your name then no the council cannot take the property off you to pay for her fees. It would be best to check this first. Hope this helps for now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello have spoken to my mortgage broker who inform me that my mums name is ***** ***** the deeds so it is only my name on the deeds

In which case my above response applies. Unless you have any further questions please accept my answer or leave me rating so that Just Answer will credit me for my time. Many thanks

Madhu Pal and 2 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

No problem