How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Madhu Pal Your Own Question
Madhu Pal
Madhu Pal,
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 604
Experience:  Solicitor at HPLP Solicitors
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Madhu Pal is online now

Ya, how does this site work? do I just ask my question? im

This answer was rated:

Hi ya, how does this site work? do I just ask my question?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: im in london
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: so i have purchased a property a flat with share of freehold i wanted to bring up with the other share of freeholders whether i can make a change to the lease about changing from carpets to wooden floors i just wanted to know the steps i need to take
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no i dont think so

Good morning, you simply need to address your intentions to the remaining co-freeholders. Keep all correspondence in writing so that everything is held on record. You should state what you intend to do, and ask if anyone has any objections. If they do they will stipulate, otherwise if they are in agreement keep on record their written consent to the works (to provide as evidence for any future sale). Hope this helps?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that - do I need to do any legal work i.e. getting the lease actually changed. All i need is written consent from all of the co-freeholders for future works? So I will not need a solicitor, I just need to draft a letter to them all

No, the lease does not need to be changed and you do not need a solicitor. Just written consent from all co-freeholders. Hope this was helpful. If you could leave me a rating then Just Answer will credit me for assisting you today. Many thanks

Madhu Pal and 2 other Property Law Specialists are ready to help you